Leisure Time: The 5 Best Camping Chairs of 2020
Whether you’re looking for the best camping chair to sit around the backyard, or expand your comfy seating in a newly crowded living room — or actually going camping — we have you covered.
We’ll go over frequently asked questions and what features to look for before you buy. Then, we’ll show you our top five picks for the best camping chairs. (Scroll on down to the reviews, if you don’t want all the extra info!)
Think about how you normally use your camping chairs and what extra features you adore to find the best one for you.
Use the following frequently asked questions to help you locate the perfect camping chair, depending on what leisure time means for you.
1. What factors do people look for in the best camping chairs?
Most people want a foldable or collapsible camping chair because they’re easy to transport. The chairs fold flat, which makes it easy to store in any sized vehicle. They’re often lightweight, and they’re designed to deploy in moments without assembly.
All foldable chairs are comfortable, sturdy, and offer proper back support. Where folding chairs vary is in the amount of padding and the bonus features, such as:
- Storage compartments
- A solid armrest vs. soft
- Rocking ability
- Folding or swivel side tables
- Footrest or ottoman
- Added lumbar support
2. Are camping chairs only for camping?
No. Camping chair’s convenient features make them also perfect for a wide range of activities. The chair you buy, therefore, may depend on how you will use it. Camping chairs are common for the following activities:
- Sports games/tailgating
- Backyard get-togethers
- Small group meetings
- Sitting around a campfire/bonfire
- Extra seating which stores well for home
3. How much weight can foldable camping chairs hold?
All chairs have a weight limit. Today, camping chairs are made strong. Kids camping chairs tend to hold up to 150 or 225 lbs., while adult chairs often top off around 250-500 lbs.
The most heavy-duty chairs, like the Alps Mountaineering King Kong Chair, can withstand 800 lbs.
How We Reviewed
To create honest and accurate reviews, we delve into research on the topic. We find what features people need, the top materials, and what type of camper would prefer each option.
The best options are durable, comfortable, and come with an added feature to make camping even more convenient.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose the Best Camping Chairs
To choose the best chair for your camping needs, you may need to consider what activities you prefer while camping. Some people enjoy fishing, backpacking, or only need something to relax by the campfire after a long day.
Consider your needs to find the type of chair for you and check out common features if you’re looking for luxury camping.
Camping chairs are typically made using aluminum or steel frames, which allows them to remain lightweight. The most lightweight models are ideal for backpacking and made with aluminum. Tough polyester is often used to make the seat.
Types of Camping Chairs
The material of your camping chair may depend on the type. There are two main types of camping chairs, and the option you choose may determine what features you get.
Car Camping Chairs
A car camping chair was designed to feel comfortable and luxurious. They may be heavier and less portable, but they do offer excellent support for people who enjoy sitting around camp.
Ideal for relaxing, use this type of chair for everything from festivals and sporting events and camping to backyard sitting. Car camping chairs may include built-in features like:
- Drink holders
Backpacking chairs are lightweight and designed for portability. They’re made using aluminum and strong mesh, and their weight varies based on the materials.
Backpacking chairs still offer plenty of comfort for weary campers. However, this type of chair is less likely to focus on added features like car camping chairs.
As we mentioned, car camping chairs tend to offer extra features. The features you consider may depend on your camping needs and preferences, though. Consider the following list of common built-in features:
- Cup holders
- Gripped feet
- Carrying case
- Storage compartments
- Footrest or ottoman
Finally, the best camping chairs are comfortable without sacrificing lower back support and durability. To achieve this, top camping chairs don’t sit too low to the ground.
When you sit in the chair, you shouldn’t feel the edges dig into your legs or back. However, if you notice most camping chairs don’t feel comfortable with you, try a wide option.
Top 5 Best Camping Chairs
After you narrow down which features appeal to you the most, find the camping chair for you below. The following list includes fantastic chairs you can kick back in to enjoy the summer sun, sports, or relax.
Here are the five best options for 2020, no matter what you plan to do.
Alps Mountaineering King Kong Chair
If standard camping chairs don’t hold up well for you, try the Alps Mountaineering King Kong. It’s ultra-strong, durable, comfortable, and easy to fold up.
- Best for both comfort and strength
- Weight capacity of 800 lbs.
- Heavy duty and tough
- Highly comfortable
- Tons of storage
- Steel frame and strong polyester
- Middle of the seat prone to sag over time
- Heavier than most options
- Can’t sit in one position too long
- Sturdy powder-coated steel frame and 600D polyester fabric provides stability and comfort
- Each adjustable armrest comes with a cup holder and side pocket for maximum storage
- Includes convenient shoulder carry bag, allowing you to transport and store chair with...
The Alps Mountaineering King Kong has a steel frame that’s powder-coated for added strength. It can hold more weight than any other camping chair on this list, and it throws in some awesome built-in features like a side storage pocket, a cup holder, and an adjustable armrest.
A manufacturer’s warranty is available, even through sellers like Amazon when you contact their customer service. Amazon also accepts free returns for this product.
Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler
Perfect for large people and comfort, the Coleman Oversized Quad Chair offers a built-in cooler for an all-in-one design you can take tailgating, fishing, or to concerts.
Anyone who camps in their car or wants an affordable and roomy design can enjoy this chair.
- Built-in Cooler: Keeps up to 4 cans cold and easily accessible
- Hours of comfort: Thanks to fully cushioned seat and back
- Convenient features: Side pockets, mesh cup holder, adjustable arm heights
- Best for drinking
- Built-in cooler and side pocket
- 300 lb. weight capacity
- Extremely comfortable
- Wide and roomy
- Adjustable design
- Easy to transport and store
- Under 10 lbs.
- Highly affordable
- A little difficult to fold
- Carrying case fabric isn’t as durable
- The steel frame will rust without proper maintenance
The Coleman Oversized Quad Chair is made with extra polyester fabric to extend the wider design. The additional padding boosts your comfort as well, so you can sit in the chair for hours on end.
It also comes with stunning features like a built-in cooler that can hold four cans and easy-to-access side pockets.
A manufacturer’s warranty may be available.
REI Camp X Chair
The REI Camp X Chair is highly lightweight but insanely durable. It can hold tons of weight thanks to lightweight materials and proper weight distribution, which keeps you comfy. This chair is affordable and works well for any need.
- Highly durable in hot conditions
- Weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- Super lightweight, weighing only 7 lbs.
- Sturdy and comfortable
- Holds unusual cups in one of the drink holders
- Perfect all-purpose camping chair
- Not widely available from many sources
- Mesh material not ideal for everyone
- Only three colors
REI Camp X Chair uses X-Web technology to stretch the mesh material across the seat and back, creating excellent weight distribution. The steel frame is heavy-duty and coated to resist rust and add durability. Plus, the armrest has compartments for your drinks, phone, and other valuables.
Where to Buy
You can only buy this chair from REI.
Kelsyus Original Canopy Chair with Ottoman
For the ultimate luxury camping chair, you’ll want to go with this option from Kelsyus. It’s a quad-style chair that’s comfortable and easy to fold. Plus, it comes with the top features for relaxing outside in the summer, including a sun canopy with 50+ SPF-level sun protection.
- Best in luxury camping in the summer
- Weight capacity of 250 lbs.
- Built-in sunshade, cup holder, and ottoman
- Added sun protection
- Perfect for multiple uses
- Only 250 lb. weight capacity
- Not two drink holders and no storage pockets
- Heavy to carry around
- MULTI-USE: This quad-style chair with fold-out foot ottoman is ideal for use while...
- SUN PROTECTION: Includes an adjustable sun canopy with 50+ UPF protection to protect you...
- PORTABLE: Folded down and snapped together, the canopy becomes the chair's carry bag....
Luxury camping chairs don’t offer more than the Kelsys Original Canopy Chair. It has a footrest, drink holder, sunshade, and carrying bag.
The mesh paneling keeps you cool on hot summer days, and the padding and support are on par with heavier weight chairs on the market today. The only thing it doesn’t offer is a built-in cooler, like the Coleman Quad.
Strongback Elite with Lumbar Support
If you need help with your posture, particularly when sitting for a long period, the Strongback Elite is for you. It has extra lumbar support. However, it’s one of the most expensive portable chairs available.
- Award-winning lumbar support
- Ideal for people with back problems
- Designed for better posture
- Spacious and comfortable
- Perfect for tall people
- Patented frame-integrated support
- Hands-free carrying bag
- Two-year warranty offered
- Not as durable as other options
- Small drink holder that only fits a can
- Award winning, patented, lumbar supportive design aligns your body posture to provide...
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY - Durability Guaranteed; contact manufacturer directly for warranty...
- Spacious ergonomic seat designed to align hips and back for maximum comfort and...
The ergonomic seat keeps posture in mind, and the Strongback Elite adds lumbar support to promote healthy backs. If you sit for a long time or suffer from back pain, this camping chair has the height and durable steel frame you need. There’s also a cupholder.
Two-year warranty available no matter where you buy this pricy chair, unlike most camping chairs on the market.
|Best Camping Chairs||Alps Mountaineering King Kong Chair ||Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler ||REI Camp X Chair ||Kelsyus Original Canopy Chair with Ottoman ||Strongback Elite with Lumbar Support|
|Warranty||Manufacturer’s warranty available||Manufacturer’s warranty available from some sellers||None||None||Two-year warranty|
|Where to Buy||Amazon||Amazon||REI||Amazon||Amazon|
|Material||Steel and polyester||Steel and polyester||Steel and mesh||Steel and mesh||Steel and polyester|
|Weight Capacity||800 lbs.||325 lbs.||300 lbs.||250 lbs.||300 lbs.|
The Verdict: Final Review of Best Camping Chairs
Alps Mountaineering King Kong Chair is our top pick in best camping chairs for 2020 because it offers an insanely high weight capacity, making it a sturdy option that’s widely available for anyone – even if your kids like to pile on top of your lap. It’s comfortable and durable, so expect this chair to last. Although it’s not available from as many sellers and doesn’t offer as many luxury features as the Kelsyus, Alps is heavy-duty and perfect for a wide range of uses.