Best Hiking Boots For Men – 2018
Trekking is an adventurous journey! It leaves you with an experience of a lifetime and almost changes you as a person. However, the one accessory that enhances this experience all the more is those hiking boots.
If you select the wrong one, you will be reeling in pain throughout the journey and will spoil the experience that you rightly deserve. These boots have to be comfortable and soft on your feet while simultaneously being capable of lasting throughout the tough journey that you have ventured out for.
Salomon’s Men’s Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot (141 to 389)
KEEN Men’s Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot (94-150)
Merrel Men’s Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot (92 - 135)
Asolo Men's Fugitive GTX Hiking Boot (179-260)
Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus Ii Waterproof Hiking Shoe (60-90)
KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe (84- 125)
Vasque Men's Breeze 2.0 Gore-Tex Waterproof Hiking Boot (90-190)
Propet Men's Cliff Walker Boot (49 - 110)
Ariat Men's Terrain H2O Hiking Boot (72-130)
Adidas Outdoor Men's AX2 Mid Gore-Tex Hiking Boot (81-154)
What are Hiking Boots?
So now you have booked yourself on a trekking expedition and can’t wait to get started. You have been given a list of must-haves and trekking boots are there- right at the top of the list (or in the top five for sure) and you’re wondering why can’t just wear your sneakers?
Well, that’s because the road won’t be as smooth as silk. You will encounter slippery slopes, rocky routes, and even muddy ones. Not to mention you will be walking for hours…if not days!
In such circumstances, your sneakers aren’t enough as they are not made for such purposes. You’ll need hiking boots for this - the ones that are specially made for hiking and do not compromise on comfort and toughness.
Let’s have a look at some of the best options that you have!
Stylishly designed and sure to grab eyeballs, this meets all the criteria of a good pair of hiking boot. Available in leather and synthetic materials - you take your pick. It has a synthetic sole, making it last longer and is waterproof and rubber toe cap for extra protection and convenience.
- Can accommodate a large foot given the broadness on the front.
- Extra space for thick woolen socks.
- 4D Chassis giving foot control and comfort.
- Dynamic cushioning for your overworked feet.
- Sizing is accurate.
- These boots aren’t insulated.
- Could be too aggressive for casual hikers.
Packed with comfort and a sturdy design, the Targhee boot from KEEN delivers all-day love to your feet when you’re outdoors enjoying the sun and rain. It is waterproof and breathable, providing the right ankle support and is an extremely aggressive pair.
- Made with leather and textile.
- It is made in the United States or imported.
- Waterproof and breathable membrane that helps keep your feet dry.
- It has a rubber sole and comes with a contoured heel lock.
- Waterproof nubuck leather teams up with mesh lining for that extra comfort.
- It is not famous for durability.
- Stability is below average.
Merrel believes that there is nothing like the love of hiking outdoors and manufactures shoes that follow the same belief. Brilliant to look at and unbelievably comfortable, these boots deliver quality and performance. It has improved balancing power at the heel when commuting through rough and demanding terrain.
- It keeps water out
- The airy interiors keep bad odors out.
- It has a synthetic sole and is made of leather and textile.
- It comes with mesh and ghillie lacing.
- Cushioned heel for extra stability and absorbing shocks.
- It is not reliable when it comes to being waterproof.
- Stitches may come off on demanding terrains.
- Not made for the serious, expert hiker.
Suitable for cold and hot conditions, these shoes are aggressive on the terrain and soft on your feet. Wearers can expect a comfortable hiking experience and impressive comments from onlookers. It has a spacious interior, smoothly accommodating big toes and can be worn easily with thick or thin socks. Known for its looks and durability, you must give this a try and if you haven’t done so already!
- Flexible, lightweight and resistant
- Room for your feet to breath and absorbs shock.
- Made of leather
- Comfortable for flat feet as well.
- The soles start peeling away very fast.
- Not very durable.
- Not recommendable for extensively difficult terrains.
Giving your foot the comfort of running shoes, the Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus Ii Waterproof Hiking Shoe is one of the best options for those heading out on an easy terrain hike. It gives a bounciness to the feet and forefoot flexibility. Moderately priced, this is something that beginners can opt for.
- Made of leather and synthetic material.
- Comes with a rubber sole and omni grip outsole.
- Supportive and waterproof hiking boots.
- Provides flexibility and stability.
- Not very heavy. Weighs as much as average running shoes.
- Not meant for extreme hiking.
- A harder inner sole.
- Midsole is not thick enough to soften the feel of rocks and pebbles.
This one provides a deadly combination of comfort, weight and flexibility at an unbelievable price. The Company has developed devoted followers owing to its well though and carefully manufactured boots. You can wear them and walk all the miles that you want to push yourself through without worrying about blisters on your feet.
- Made of leather.
- Has a rubber sole for long lasting effect.
- Is lightweight and comfortable.
- Waterproof and breathable.
- Because of the single stitch, the soles come off easily.
- With heavy wear and tear it doesn’t remain water proof.
- The toe box tends to pull away with even a slight increase in the intensity of its usage.
Vasque is a leader in the world of footwear manufacturing and has changed the world of hiking with its tough and well designed boots. With the huge success of its previous features, Vasque introduced the Breeze 2.0 Gore-Tex Waterproof Hiking Boot that have won millions of hearts as soon as it got launched.
- Well shaped toe bumper that protects your toe.
- Superior cushioning for long hikes.
- Allows air circulation and is water resistant.
- High quality upper leather that bends according to the shape of the foot giving it a custom made shape.
- It is not lightweight.
- Can comes across as an expensive product.
- It is water resistant; not water proof.
These beauties are designed, incorporating state-of-the-art technology to keep your feet comfortable and dry all day. You can wear this versatile pair around town, to work and also when you’re heading off for a hike. It has a wide space for broad feet thereby encompassing every feet willing to go in.
- It comes with Sealtex waterproof technology keeping water out.
- Made of leather and has a rubber sole
- Good combination of quality and price
- They tend to be smaller than average size. So opt for a bigger size that you usually do.
Whether you’re on a rocky mountain or a jungle, this boot has you covered. Manufactured with oiled and fully grained leather on top, it provides your feet with the right amount of room to breathe and a strong outer sole for durability and comfort.
- Synthetic lining
- Toe protector that takes care of your toes.
- EVA midsole that absorbs shock.
- Uses advanced Torque Stability Technology for enhanced stabiity.
- Not the right one when you’re treading on snow.
- These are moisture resistant boots; not waterproof.
Adidas is known for it’s footwear that bring about the enviable combination of looks, durability and comfort. The Adidas Outdoor Men's AX2 Mid Gore-Tex Hiking Boot is no different. The first thing that will get your attention is the way the shoes have been designed looking soft as well as aggressive. It gives you the comfort of your sneakers but the protection of boots.
- It’s super light.
- Has an excellent traction.
- Has enough room for your foot to breath as you sweat it out.
- Keeps your feet dry as long as it doesn’t get soaked above the ankles.
- It is not known for its stability.
- It has a stiff sole making it uncomfortable for longer journeys.
- It does not have anything unique to make it stand apart from the other products in the market.
How to choose Best Hiking Boots for men? – Hiking Boots Buying Guide
If you want the best pair of hiking boots, you need to look out for a few things. You will want a lightweight pair that is durable and hardy. A good fit helps you prevent getting body blisters, corns and also avoid unnecessary stress on the joints and tendons. Similarly, if your boot dries quickly, it would help you when you are walking on wet areas, or when it rains. Here is what you should be looking at, the different factors to consider.
Types of Hiking Boots
Which hiking boot would be right for you? There are various type of hiking boots available for men so you should know about them before making a purchase.
- Hiking shoes are perfect if you are just looking around to navigate a well kept trail.
- Day hiking boots should be bought when you are looking for backpacking with a bit of weight.
- Backpacking boots are perfect for long trips and rough terrain and heavy loads.
Hiking boots for men use different types of materials, and you need to be aware of your use.
- Full-grain leather boots are mostly used for handling backpacking trips lasting many days. They are very durable but less breathable and needs time to break in.
- l Split grain leather is used for hiking boots of less weight and to ensure breathability. But they may not be very sturdy or water resistant.
- l Synthetic leather, nylon, and polyester make for light boots which require less time to break in. They are flexible but may not be as durable as leather hiking boots.
Fit of the Boots
You need to check out the fit of the boots to ensure that they fit perfectly.
- Try the boot later in the day when your feet swell. Use your socks to try it out.
- Your boot must fit snugly, but with enough room to wiggle the toes.
- Find out your size and check with the sizing chart on the website.
- Walk around with the boots and take some time to determine how they fit.
After you have got your boots of perfect fit, you need to break them in before you can take them on a trip.
Hiking boots have certain basic requirements that must be met. They have to comfortable, airy, stable and durable. Also, a good bonus would be getting a waterproof pair. We have just shown you the best hiking boots that are available in the market.
We recommend purchasing Salomon’s Men’s Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot as it is the right one that suits all hiking needs. It checks off all the boxes for us.
Even though it might come across as being too pricey, the features it offers and its comfort and durability are unparalleled. It’s worth every penny and will help make a beautiful journey, a euphoric one!