Trekking is an adventurous journey! It leaves you with an experience of a lifetime and almost changes you as a person. However, the one accessory that enhances this experience all the more is those best hiking boots for men.
Getting the right footwear that is comfortable and offers maximum support not only to your feet but also to your lifestyle is essential. If you select the wrong one, be it for an easy day hiking or no-nonsense weekend backpacking trips, you will be reeling in pain throughout the journey and will spoil the experience that you rightly deserve. These boots have to be comfortable and soft on your feet while simultaneously being capable of lasting throughout the tough journey that you haveventured out for.
Luckily for you, we have compiled the best of synthetic and leather hiking boots for men available in the market today to help you choose the right pair for your next backpacking trips. The items in this review are the favorite of day hikers and backpackers due to the comfort and support they provide on even the most arduous trips. You’ll find that all of the items in this list are comfortable and durable without the hefty price tag.
Before taking a look at the first hiking footwear, let’s first find out what hiking boots are.
So now you have booked yourself on a trekking expedition and can’t wait to get started. You have been given a list of must-haves, and trekking boots are there – right at the top of the list (or in the top five for sure) and you’re wondering why can’t you just wear your sneakers?What are Hiking Boots?
Well, that’s because the road to your best backpacking adventure won’t be as smooth as silk. You will encounter slippery slopes, rocky routes, and even muddy ones. Not to mention you will be walking for hours…if not days!
In such circumstances, your sneakers aren’t enough as they are not made for such purposes; they simply can’t protect your feet from sharp rocks, slippery terrain or water. You’ll need hiking boots for this – the ones that are specially made for hiking and do not compromise on comfort and toughness.
Let’s have a look at some of the best options that you have!
Top 10 Hiking Footwear for Your Next Backpacking Trips
Stylishly designed and sure to grab eyeballs, this meets all the criteria of a good pair of hiking boots. Available in leather and synthetic materials – you take your pick. It has a synthetic sole that provides better traction and grip, making it last longer, and it has a waterproof and rubber toe cap for extra protection and convenience. Its upper uses a combination of textile and nubuck, making this hiking boot comfortable and nice to wear. Additionally, these boots only weigh just over a pound, making it one of the lightest in this category. If you are looking for lightweight hiking boots for men, the Quest 4D 2 GTX is definitely worth checking out.
- Can accommodate a large foot given the broadness on the front.
- Extra space for thick woolen socks.
- 4D Chassis giving foot control and comfort.
- Dynamic cushioning for your overworked feet.
- Sizing is accurate.
- These boots aren’t insulated.
- Could be too aggressive for casual hikers.
Packed with comfort and a sturdy design, the Targhee boot from KEEN delivers all-day love to your feet when you’re outdoors enjoying the sun and rain. The upper is made of KEEN.DRY waterproof membrane to keep you comfortable even when hiking in the rain and since this material is highly breathable, these waterproof hiking boots for men can also keep your feet happy and dry during hot summer hiking trips.
In addition to it being waterproof and breathable, this pair of lightweight boots has lugged outsoles for better traction and performance, thus providing the right ankle support, and is an extremely aggressive pair for both casual day hikers and serious backpackers. If you are, therefore, looking for a pair of lightweight boots that are waterproof and can last you through your toughest weekend backpacking trips, the Targhee II should be your best option.
- Made with leather and textile.
- It is made in the United States or imported.
- The waterproof and breathable membrane that helps keep your feet dry.
- It has a rubber sole and comes with a contoured heel lock.
- Waterproof nubuck leather teams up with mesh lining for that extra comfort.
- It is not famous for durability.
- Stability is below average.
Merrel believes that there is nothing like the love of hiking outdoors and manufactures shoes that follow the same belief. Brilliant to look at and unbelievably comfortable, these boots deliver quality and performance. It has improved balancing power at the heel when commuting through rough and demanding terrain. The synthetic outsoles of this pair of footwear have lugged patterns in specific areas for maximum traction, stability, and comfort. Day hikers will surely be pleased by these Merrell hiking boots for men.
- It keeps water out
- The airy interiors keep bad odors out.
- It has a synthetic sole and is made of leather and textile.
- It comes with mesh and ghillie lacing.
- Cushioned heel for extra stability and absorbing shocks.
- It is not reliable when it comes to being waterproof.
- Stitches may come off on demanding terrains.
- Not made for the serious, expert hiker.
Suitable for cold and hot conditions, these shoes are aggressive on the terrain and soft on your feet. Wearers can expect a comfortable hiking experience and impressive comments from onlookers. It has a spacious interior, smoothly accommodating big toes and can be worn easily with thick or thin socks. Although some hikers like the Asolo TPS for its full grain upper and added support in cold weather hiking, the Asolo GTX remains to be the lighter option. At 690g, it is a little more than 100g lighter than the Asolo TPS. Nevertheless, both the Asolo TPS and GTX offer the same degree of protection and traction typical of all Asolo products.
Known for its looks and durability, you must give this a try and if you haven’t done so already!
- Flexible, lightweight and resistant
- Room for your feet to breath and absorbs shock.
- Made of leather
- Comfortable for flat feet as well.
- The soles start peeling away very fast.
- Not very durable.
- Not recommendable for extensively difficult terrains.
Giving your foot the comfort of running shoes, the Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus Ii II Waterproof Hiking Shoe is one of the best options for those heading out on an easy terrain hike. Beginner day hikers will no doubt love the beautiful combination of full-grain and suede leather in this hiking footwear, not to mention the comfort and support it provides. Unlike the other hiking boots we looked at, this pair utilizes a rubber outsole with Omni-Grip technology for maximum traction, so you never worry about slipping on wet terrain. It gives a bounciness to the feet and forefoot flexibility. Waterproof and breathable, these lightweight boots are a must-have in all of your quest for fun and adventure in nature. Moderately priced, this is something that beginners can opt for.
- Made of leather and synthetic material.
- Comes with a rubber sole and Omni-Grip outsole.
- Supportive and waterproof hiking boots.
- Provides flexibility and stability.
- Not very heavy. Weighs as much as average running shoes.
- Not meant for extreme hiking.
- A harder inner sole.
- The midsole is not thick enough to soften the feel of rocks and pebbles.
This one provides a deadly combination of comfort, weight, and flexibility at an unbelievable price. The Company has developed devoted followers owing to its well though and carefully manufactured boots. As with the Targhee II Hiking Boots you read about earlier, this hiking footwear has a lower shaft and collar but features the same waterproof membrane to keep your feet dry in any weather condition. You can wear them and walk all the miles that you want to push yourself through without worrying about blisters on your feet.
- Made of leather.
- Has a rubber sole for a long-lasting effect.
- Is lightweight and comfortable.
- Waterproof and breathable.
- Because of the single stitch, the soles come off easily.
- With heavy wear and tear it doesn’t stay waterproof.
- The toe box tends to pull away with even a slight increase in the intensity of its usage.
Vasque is a leader in the world of footwear manufacturing and has changed the world of hiking with its tough and well-designed boots. With the huge success of its previous features, Vasque introduced the Breeze 2.0 Gore-Tex Waterproof Hiking Boot that has won millions of hearts as soon as it got launched. Another striking feature that makes the Breeze 2.0 stand out is its high shaft design and nubuck leather upper. The shaft measures up to 6 inches from the arch, providing more support and coverage for the hiker’s feet. This makes this backpacking footwear an ideal choice for people in search of winter hiking boots for men.
- Well shaped toe bumper that protects your toe.
- Superior cushioning for long hikes.
- Allows air circulation and is water resistant.
- High-quality upper leather that bends according to the shape of the foot giving it a custom-made shape.
- It is not lightweight.
- Can come across as an expensive product.
- It is water resistant; not waterproof.
These beauties are designed incorporating state-of-the-art technology to keep your feet comfortable and dry all day. You can wear this versatile pair around town, to work and also when you’re heading off for a hike. It has a wide space for broad feet thereby encompassing every foot willing to go in. In a way, this awesome pair of footwear is similar to the Lowa Renegade GTX when it comes to versatility and its accommodating fit, but unlike the Lowa Renegade, the Cliff Walker doesn’t sport the same hefty price tag.
- It comes with Sealtex waterproof technology keeping water out.
- Made of leather and has a rubber sole
- Good combination of quality and price
- They tend to be smaller than average size. So opt for a bigger size that you usually do.
Whether you’re on a rocky mountain or a jungle, this boot has you covered. The gel-cushioned footbed, padded collar, and heel stabilizer make the Terrain H2O the most comfortable hiking boots for men. Manufactured with oiled and fully grained leather on top, it provides your feet with the right amount of room to breathe and a strong outer sole for durability and comfort. Whether it’s day hiking with kids or serious backpacking with peers, these hiking boots are going to be the best pair you will ever go out on a quest with.
- Synthetic lining
- Toe protector that takes care of your toes.
- EVA midsole that absorbs shock.
- Uses advanced Torque Stability Technology for enhanced stability.
- Not the right one when you’re treading on snow.
- These are moisture resistant boots; not waterproof.
Adidas is known for its footwear that brings about the enviable combination of looks, durability, and comfort. The Adidas Outdoor Men’s AX2 Mid Gore-Tex Hiking Boot is no different. The first thing that will get your attention is the way the shoes have been designed, looking soft as well as aggressive. The rubber outsole provides for optimum traction and stability in wet conditions while the 5mm-thick lugs give your soles added protection from sharp rocks and rough terrain. Ultimately, the Adidas Outdoor Men’s AX2 It gives you the comfort of your sneakers but the protection of hiking boots.
- It’s super light.
- Has an excellent traction.
- Has enough room for your foot to breath as you sweat it out.
- Keeps your feet dry as long as it doesn’t get soaked above the ankles.
- It is not known for its stability.
- It has a stiff sole making it uncomfortable for longer journeys.
- It does not have anything unique to make it stand apart from the other products in the market.
How to Choose Best Hiking Boots for men? – Hiking Boots Buying Guide
If you want the best pair of hiking boots, you need to look out for a few things. You will want a lightweight pair that is durable and hardy. A good fit helps you prevent getting body blisters, corns and also avoid unnecessary stress on the joints and tendons. Similarly, if your boot dries quickly, it would help you when you are walking on wet areas, or when it rains. Here is what you should be looking at, the different factors to consider.
Types of Hiking Boots
Which hiking boot would be right for you? There are various types of hiking boots available for men so you should know about them before making a purchase.
- Hiking shoes are perfect if you are just looking around to navigate a well-kept trail.
- Day hiking boots should be bought when you are looking for backpacking with a bit of weight.
- Backpacking boots are perfect for long trips and rough terrain and heavy loads.
Hiking boots for men use different types of materials, and you need to be aware of your use.
- Full-grain leather boots are mostly used for handling backpacking trips lasting many days. They are very durable but less breathable and needs time to break in.
- Split grain leather is used for hiking boots of less weight and to ensure breathability. But they may not be very sturdy or water resistant.
- Synthetic leather, nylon, and polyester make for light boots which require less time to break in. They are flexible but may not be as durable as leather hiking boots.
If you have gone through every item featured in this review, you have seen that full-grain leather hiking boots are the best for heavy backpacking trips requiring several days to finish. They offer the most protection and are the most durable of all types of hiking footwear, but they can also be the heaviest; not a very good option for people seeking lightweight boots.
Synthetic leather, nylon, and polyester are the lightest but not the most durable. If you are into casual day hiking, however, these are the perfect boots for you.
If you like a combination of versatility, durability and the ability to keep your feet warm and dry in cold or wet conditions, the Salewa Mountain Trainer would be your best bet. Although these lightweight boots didn’t make it to our list of Top 10, they can be considered great runners up for the quality they possess.
The fit of the Boots
You need to check out the fit of the boots to ensure that they fit perfectly. In buying online, most especially, you need to check and double check the size chart to ensure that you get the perfect fit your feet. No matter how much traction the outsoles of your boots are if they are a bit big for your feet, you will never achieve the highest level of stability you seek. In fact, your loose boots may even cause you trouble and accidents in the trail. Too tight, on the other hand, can injure your feet after minutes or hours of walking and this is definitely something you need to watch out for.
To guide you in your quest for the perfect pair of hiking boots, here are a few pointers to try:
- Try the boot later in the day when your feet swell. Use your socks to try them out.
- Your boot must fit snugly, but with enough room to wiggle the toes.
- Find out your size and check with the sizing chart on the website.
- Walk around with the boots and take some time to determine how they fit.
After you have got your boots of a perfect fit, you need to break them in before you can take them on a trip.
Final Review of Best Hiking Boots for Men
Hiking boots have certain basic requirements that must be met. They have to comfortable, airy, stable and durable. Also, a good bonus would be getting a waterproof pair. We have just shown you the best hiking boots that are available in the market.
We recommend purchasing Salomon’s Men’s Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot as it is the right one that suits all hiking needs. It checks off all the boxes for us.
Even though it might come across as being too pricey, the features it offers and its comfort and durability are unparalleled. It’s worth every penny and will help make a beautiful journey, a euphoric one!
Last update on 2021-06-20 at 07:09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API